Harassment of old ailing parents

Now Elderly Parents in Punjab do not need to go to courts and waste their time and energy to get Monetary Relief from their SON’s in case the SON or Daughter-inLaw refuses to maintain old parents of Husband .

Old Parents can apply to SDM (Sub Divisional Magistrate) of their area and he can order Monetary Relief under powers conferred on SDM by the Punjab Government .

This is a step in the right direction by the Government .


Harassment of old, ailing parents unabated
Many petitions against wards pending 
Prabhjot Singh
Tribune News Service

Chandigarh, September 27
Functions to entertain, honour and look after senior citizens notwithstanding, there has been no let-up in cases of harassment of old and ailing parents in Punjab.

Though the Punjab government had decided to implement the Punjab Maintenance of Parents and Senior Citizens Act, 2007, early this year to provide for the maintenance of elderly people, not many applications moved before the subdivisional magistrates, who constitute the one-member tribunal under the Act, have been decided to give relief to the suffering parents and senior citizens.

On July 30 this year, the first-ever case was decided in favour of Gurcharan Kaur, wife of an ex-PCS officer Sukhinder Singh, by the subdivisional magistrate of Jalandhar-I. The son of the beneficiary woman before the district magistrate of Jalandhar subsequently challenged the order of the one-member tribunal.

The subdivisional magistrate had ordered Kanwaljit Singh, son of a retired PCS officer, to give monthly sustenance allowance of Rs 10,000 to his mother after she complained she and her husband had been forced to live with their daughter because their son wanted to grab their house.

While a number of senior citizens in letters to The Tribune maintained some subdivisonal magistrates were still not aware or were not informed about the powers vested in them under the Punjab Maintenance and Welfare of Parents and Senior Citizens Act, others were too busy to attend to their complaints.

A senior resident of Nabha, who suffered brain haemorrhage, complained to the deputy commissioner of Patiala and the subdivisional magistrate of Nabha that he had been forced to live with his widowed daughter in Shimla.

The complainant maintained that his son had forcibly taken possession of his house, made several alterations and removed all his belongings from it.

He said as and when he returned to his own house, his son maltreated, abused and ill-treated him. “My complaints to all authorities and even the petition to the subdivisional magistrate, who enjoys the powers of one-man tribunal in such cases, have evoked no response so far,” he adds, revealing that he has even complained to the Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal and Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal.

He wants that all subdivisional magistrates be instructed afresh to take the complaints of aging and ailing senior citizens on a priority basis to ensure that they can spend the last days of their lives honourably.


Link Here :



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: